The General Electric P42 locomotive is also known as the “Genesis” locomotive. The P42 is a modern 4200 horsepower passenger locomotive used across the United States and Canada. Amtrak’s P42 has replaced the EMD F40PH in revenue service and today they are used throughout the United States and often operated in a mixed consist of Phase IV and Phase V schemes.
On March 16, 2021, Amtrak announced the release of six heritage paint schemes, all with an “Amtrak 50” logo on the side, to be applied to five Genesis locomotives and one Charger ALC-42 locomotive. The liveries include heritage versions of the black “Day 1” livery on ALC-42 No. 301, a Phase I livery on P42 No. 161, a Phase III “Pepsi Can” livery on P42 No. 160, a Phase V livery on P42 No. 46, and a Phase VI livery on P42 No. 108 that is similar to the first ALC-42 units. The sixth scheme was “Midnight Blue,” a dark blue livery on P42 No. 100 celebrating employees who “keep passengers moving across the nation all throughout the night”.
- All locomotives will be equipped with body mounted KATO magnetic knuckle couplers.
- Locomotives feature directional Golden White LED headlights and illuminated preprinted number boards.
- Locomotives have a powerful five pole motor with all wheel electrical pickup and blackened wheels.
- Locomotives are DCC friendly.
- Drop in DCC compatible with the Train Control Systems K0D8-A and Digitrax DN163K0A
- Exploded View Diagrams of the N Scale P42: Download PDF*
- *Parts prices in Exploded View Diagram may not be current