The Siemens’ ALC-42 “Charger” is Amtrak’s newest addition to its roster of long-distance diesel locomotives, intended to replace the GE P42 in general passenger service across all of its service area. The first ALC-42 was delivered to Amtrak on June 17, 2021, and entered revenue service on February 8, 2022, on the Empire Builder. The initial six engines from Amtrak were all designed with special paint schemes – with one receiving a “Day one” heritage paint scheme that mimes the very first Amtrak paint scheme applied to E8 #4316 in 1971.
Kato’s new ALC-42 “Charger” model represents the Siemens Diesel-Electric engine as it has been ordered by Amtrak long distance service. This model differs from other regional variations of the “Charger” model with an extended nose section, larger fuel tank and sandfill tank, and other internal modifications to make it better fit Amtrak’s needs for cross country travel. All of these details have been carefully and lovingly replicated on the brand-new Kato model, which features totally new molding and design from the ground up.
The smooth curves of the engine are precisely modeled to match the prototype, with a visible engine compartment beneath the engine’s distinctive large grill on the side. In order to duplicate the illuminated engine compartment from the prototype model, an interior lighting kit is capable of being installed into the rear of the engine, allowing modelers to enjoy this extra lighting feature!
- Equipped with body mounted KATO magnetic knuckle couplers.
- Directional Golden White LED headlights and illuminated preprinted number boards.
- A powerful five pole motor with all wheel electrical pickup and blackened wheels.
- Locomotives are DCC friendly with a pre-built speaker housing space in the fuel tank.
- Prototypical see through venting on the side of the engine which can be illuminated with the installation of an optional 11-211 Interior Lighting Kit.
- Hybrid steel and plastic wheels give all-wheel electrical pickup with unprecedented prototype details on the visible wheel exterior.
*Some road numbers may not be pictured*